28 May 2010

Day 1 in NYC

I took the NJ Transit into the city- journey time door to door from hotel to penn station around 1 hour. Not too bad considering i got lost on the newark airport mono rail system.- a round trip into the city is $30, so reasonable

The early part of the afternoon was spent at a knitting session in Purl Soho with the amazing Jeremy. I used to be a knitter until I discovered chopping up big pieces of fabric rather than making them. In 1992 i began knitting a cute jumper, which has been in my cupboard ever since, Jeremy refreshed my knowledge with some advice on cabling, increasing and decreasing, and i felt like it hadn't been so long since i knitted! I love the shop in broome street SoHo and wish i could have bought everything!


I moved onto a shop called sew fast, sew easy that also teaches sewing. It is a small shop inside a large building, and although i was hoping to browse the selection of gadgets i was rather rushed into making my purchases which were some nifty magnetic seam allowance guides , flexi rulers , and a couple of books. It's a shame i couldn't have stayed longer, but the owner had a student she needed to get back to.

I strolled about 20 blocks up to central park, and sat enjoying some rays, i was joined by a really colourful rickshaw driver called garth, who wanted to chew the fat a little.

My next stop was MOMA- a museum i have meant to visit on every one of new york trips. Luckily for me on friday evening it's free- so it was really buzzing. great photographic exhibition by female photographers.
 




On leaving Moma, i had a great cheap mexican in Chipotle- a sort of fast food mexican place, so it was pretty cheap and really tasty. I left the restaurant and strolled through the manic hustle bustle of times square, which never fails to delight me. there are several ships in port this weekend, so the city is teeming with sailors in crisp uniforms.........
  


Caught a double decker NJ transit train back to the airport and my hotel. Train full of colourful characters

No comments:

Post a Comment